For my first Canadian Thanksgiving, I visited my friend Jamie in Vernon. It is located about an hour from Kelowna in British Columbia’s Okanagan region. I met Jamie when I was traversing through SE Asia.he had the absolute pleasure of being my roommate for about two weeks.
She then came and spent Christmas and New Year’s Eve with my family on Magnetic Island. I am glad I got to visit and not only meet her beautiful family, but see the place she has called home her entire life.
Vernon is pretty damn spectacular. The town is surrounded by green, yellow and barren hills, snowy mountains (when it’s winter that is) and the smoothest lakes. Their still presence made me want to ski across them, but the water was a bit cool for this Australian. The sun’s reflection off the pristine waters was blinding on the fall days. I could imagine they wouldn’t be as quiet in summer though.
The Fall Bucket List
During my trip we visited a lot of Vernon treasures, with our first stop being Davison Orchards. The village encompasses a market, cafe, petting zoo, kid’s corner, apple orchard and pumpkin patch. The best part, however, was picking up a copy of their Fall Bucket List. Out of the twenty items I’ve managed to complete 19—not too shabby. I also really don’t do soup. Here is the list and my evidence.
1. jump in a leaf pile. Thank you Stanley Park.
2. take a walk and enjoy the fall leaves.
3. take a deep breath of crisp fall air.
4. get outside.
5. make applesauce. First time and it was so easy.
6. roast autumn vegetables. We roasted brussel sprouts as part of a “new fall recipe” — see 13.
7. decorate with pumpkins and gourds.
8. take a family picture.
9. wear a cosy sweater.
10. light a candle.
11. be thankful. I am so thankful for friends, for family and for the opportunities I have had.
12. enjoy a piece of pie. Pumpkin pie to be precise. Still not a fan.
13. try a new fall recipe.
14. see a snake gourd.
15. pick a pumpkin.
16. sip a pumpkin steamer. Still not a fan also.
17. savour some warm soup. I just don’t like soup/haven’t found one I like enough!
18. cozy up with some hot/cold apple cider. So I tried some hot cider, but I just like cold cider more, so I bought some of that too.
19. crunch a caramel apple.
20. pick an apple. So we didn’t want to break the rules and pick an apple from an orchard, so my genius host tied an apple to the tree for me.
As you can see, I had a fantastic weekend in Vernon with old friends and new.